Monday 20 August 2012

Its Still 2004


Its still 2004 I searched through the list of destinations on the Global Village section of the Habitat for Humanity web site and decided that I would go to Bolivia. This from someone who to date had only travelled throughout Europe. I had been on a few family holidays and flown to various European countries on business, never staying too long in one place, never getting to know the country or the people, although I always felt that I should.

In 2000 I rode my motorcycle (no not a Harley D but a 200 mph crotch rocket) through Spain and spent time getting to know a little about the country and the area in which I travelled. Taking this trip on my own meant that I could spend as much or a little time in one place as I felt necessary to get my fill of the culture. All in all it was a poor attempt. I loved the ride and the solace, the people and the countryside, but it wasn't enough to quench that thirst for adventure and travel.

So Bolivia looked good, a country that I new little about but had heard the stories, Butch Casidy and the Sun Dance Kid etc. But then uncertainty set in, what if I couldn't handle spending 2 weeks with a group of people I had never met. Flying half way around the world and getting stuck in a situation that I could not handle. What would I do then? Cut and run? It was a long way to run.

So I decided Portugal was a better option, (or was that the soft option) only just down the road in relative terms. I was here in the UK, cheap flights or even road links. I thought I might ride the bike down and spend my two weeks working on the project and ride back. If the build was not as enjoyable as I would have hoped, the ride certainly would be. A win win situation. Or so I thought.

The first step was to contact the team leader and apply to take part in his project. Terry (Mateo) Mattson was his name, (unchanged because he deserves a mention) lived in Bellingham, Washington State USA. I sent an e-mail which was responded to in double quick time. This was followed by more e-mail's, questions, and answers.  I got a feeling about this guy, I figured I would like him, we built up some kind of relationship even though we had never spoken directly, it was an e-mail relationship at this point.

For whatever reason he decided I was a suitable candidate for his team,
little did he know.    I Can't remember what month in which all of this happened. But the project was due to start in May/June.  I looked into ferries and fares to various ports and planning routes across France, Spain and Portugal. I had it all worked out and was about to make my bookings when a very good friend informed me that it was his birthday on the 2nd of June and he would be celebrating in Ireland and I was invited.

Well that changed everything. I booked my flight to Dublin for the 1st of June. It was then that I realised that the project didn't finish until the 1st of June. With a 3 day ride back to the UK this was never going to work. So onto plan "B" fly Gatwick to Porto and leave the project a day early so that I could be back in time to fly to Dublin. Not a good start to my voluntary endeavours. But that was the way it had to be, and who knows, I may have been desperate to leave a day early.

This was my first venture into the world of voluntary eco-tourism and I did not keep a diary which was something that became a "must do" on future trips. What I can tell you is, that this trip was a life changing experience that lead to many more adventures and eventually to me becoming a team leader. And for that I have to thank Mr Terry (Mateo) Mattson, a remarkable man who now, along with his wife (Alexandra) runs his own mission in Honduras.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind & gracious comments. With me it was joy at first sight. We had a great mission together and you were an awesone asset to that group. Your Friends can check out this crazy world traveller & lover of my neighbors in need at SOR Mission At Work at Facebook. Also at WWW.sormission.org
    Terry "Mateo" Mattson

    ReplyDelete