Tuesday 30 October 2012

Kanyakumari 2007


Day One Saturday

Well the day started well, at 05:50 Phil was pulling up outside the studio to whisk me off to the station. All of 2 miles away. Although it wasn't cold, it was foggy. The mist lays in that valley at the best of times. Standing all alone on the platform by 06:05 it was like a ghost scene from some spooky film, the track disappearing into the fog. And then right on time it appeared like an apparition through the fog, first the lights and then the outline of the 06:18 to Charring Cross. As luck would have it the driver remembered to stop. Some years ago when friends where leaving from the same platform to go home to Tonbridge, the driver forgot to stop. You just can't get the staff nowadays. 

Arrived at Gatwick without delays and proceeded to the check in desk. I like Qatar Airways, as I approached the desk the security man spoke to the girl in charge and said, "get this man leg room" all the way through if you can do it I added. And she did. I also arranged to get the rest of the team seated together and then went through security (a little hold up but not too long). I soon took up position at the designated spot, Habitat shirt, Habitat hat, standing out like a beacon amongst the little folk.

I found 4 of the team already there and the rest followed soon after. Following the introductions and a short chat they all wanted to disappear in different directions for coffee and breakfast and shopping etc. Poor little Enya (18 year old Irish student) Not only did she not get her passport and Visa until just hours before she was due to fly out of Ireland bound for Gatwick (panic, panic) but she had to spend the night in Gatwick airport sleeping on a bench. I must say she looked fine on it (not the bench that is, you know what I mean). I arranged to meet them at the gate and I then shot off to the VIP lounge. (I kept that one a secret). 

After my VIP refreshments I met up with all bar two of the team at the gate. Everyone on board except Adrian & son Geoffrey so I waited. They eventually arrived but did not get through the check desk as it appeared that Geoffrey had lost his ticket. After a complete strip down of his hand luggage, the girl at the desk decided she actually had it in her hand, what did I say about can't get the staff nowadays. Panic over we were all on board and a pleasant and uneventful flight was had by all. 

I had a talker next to me (hell, just what you don't need) but he soon fell asleep as he had left Houston the previous day, woke up on landing, (a blessing). So here we are at Doha, it's 19:00 hrs UK time 21:00 

On stepping off the plane it was like being hit with the oven door and the fan blowing at full throttle. The team have dispersed around the airport which has changed dramatically since last year. It is about 10 times the size and very modern. And I told the team to expect a poky little place with no seating. What kind of leader am I? Oh yes and you guessed it, I'm in the VIP lounge. 4 hours on a leather sofa with free coffee and snacks and "wifi" to boot. That privilege card is worth every penny on these long haul flights. 

The flight out is at 00:30 and then about 4 hours to the destination. You thought I was going to spell it then, I can't even pronounce it let alone spell it. So I will just sit here and suffer the excellent service until the flight is due. 

Day Two Sunday

Arrived at Thiruvananthapuram airport, Trhivanthrum for short. Met Mcloud as arranged and made the two hour journey by bus to the hotel. Oh yes I remember now what the driving was like in Sri Lanka. It certainly is no different here, in fact possibly worse as it is more densely populated. Risk assess the bus and weigh up the driver, that's OK but what about everyone else on the road.. 


We arrived safely as I new we would, and to a pleasant surprise. Air con and a swimming pool, Habitat are spoiling us this time.

Lunch, chill, in country orientation, dinner, crash out and catch up on lost sleep. We are 4 ½ hours ahead of UK time whatever that is. Sleep is calling.........................

No comments:

Post a Comment