Monday 10 September 2012

Costa Rica days 5 to 8


Day Five

We worked hard today, the ground was still wet and heavy, when we thought we had all the foundations dug, Fabio the main man marks out another trench. It was hot and heavy. That was until about 12:15. We could see the dark cloud approaching from the east. It didn't look that heavy, in fact I thought it would pass over. But Fabio said it was about to rain. The wind started and apparently it was being pushed by the rain. The trees started to rock and Fabio said we had two minutes to get the tools into the hut and clear out. Many of us thought he was being a bit over enthusiastic, but two minutes later the heavens opened. We made it up the hill to the house outside which we were to have lunch. Even under the gazebo (for want of a better description) the water was driving in from the side. We stood our ground and had the best guacamole I have ever tasted.

When it rains it rains
After some time we decided that it was not going to stop. And called the bus to collect us. The day was over. At least it gave me the opportunity to get into the Internet café.

Following dinner (rice and chicken bits in some kind of sauce) we adjourned to the  seating area outside our rooms. Their is a religious discussion going on around the table and I'm plugged in at a side table writing this. Before that I was being beaten at connect four by  Debbie the young  11 year old daughter of Dave & Maurine. Debbie is cute, I let her win really ( I did, would I lie).

Dorothy (the 70 year old) is now known as Moma D, she is awesome on site. If she is not an ambassador for  HfH Global Village I don't know who is. I wish a few more 70 year olds could take a leaf from her book.

Day Six

Short day today. Really hot in the morning digging trenches. A lot of time spent digging out the infill from the storm. The first truck arrived and reversed down the track, bad move. He tipped his load of gravel / stone and then tried to get out. No way. Finally a tractor had to tow it out. Then the truck with the blocks, cement, timber and re-bar arrived. He had the idea that if he drove down the other track he would have more luck.

This one required towing out of here
We just got the cement off (50kg bags) and stored in the bodega before the rain started. We all lined up and started to get the blocks off before it got too bad. The line broke up as people decided they didn't want to get wet so those of us left, unloaded the rest beside the truck so that they could get away. No chance.

They tried all ways to get out but got nowhere. During this time Ken and I carried on shifting blocks from the side of the track to the building area whilst the others ran for cover. The rain was so refreshing we didn't want to give up. The tractor came back and tried to pull the truck out, forwards backwards even sideways when it slid into the trees. At some point the axle started to make a terrible noise.

We vacated the site and headed home. in the evening we went to a restaurant up in the hills. The rain had stopped and the views over the valley were spectacular. All the lights from the villages and towns looked like stars on the ground.

Back to the digs by 19:00 a late night again. Moma D and I sat up and chatted until about 22:00, that's more like it. Slept well after that.

Day Seven

My guess was correct. I thought we would find the truck still stuck on site, we did. Brilliant sunshine again this morning, very hot. At least we didn't have any trenches to dig today. We started on the re-bar, bending and tying, to make the sections needed for the foundations and the uprights. By midday another tractor arrived and pulled the truck out. Other team members were shifting sand and gravel to start on the concrete foundations when (you guessed it) the rains came.

Moma D and I carried on with the re-bar for a while but it was lunch time and we were called up to the road for lunch. Great salad and plenty of it. The rain didn't recede so time was called and we headed home. On the way we saw the truck being rear end lifted, I suspect the axle had broken.

Internet cafe and then dinner at 18:30 finished by 19:00. Tonight it may be early but I am brain dead.

This trip is so different from Sri Lanka, and Portugal. Obviously the culture and the climate, but we are not as close to the people and culture as we were in Sri Lanka. That's not to say I am not enjoying it because I am, I think I am just frustrated with the weather and the lack of progress. The team are good and the banter between us is fun. I even had a lengthy theological discussion with Dave this afternoon. (yes I know I am a none believer but that doesn't stop me enjoying the discussion) He is a good guy to talk with, very knowledgeable.

Geoff the farmer is a great laugh. He reminds me of all the old cowboy film wagon train cooks. full of stories. Bob is a quiet guy, he has also had a heart bypass and some other heart surgery so I try to keep an eye on him. He is so willing that he even tried to shift a 50k bag of cement. I stopped him just in time, but he is there whenever work is handed out.

Bob's daughter, Christine came to the site with us today, a good worker and very willing so long as it was working in the sun. She was after a sun tan. Probably rust first.


The foundations when dry (which wasn't often)

Day Eight

Hot does not begin describe it, we started with the wire & re-bar. I then moved on to mixing concrete and barrowing it to the trenches. Even though it was sweltering hot, the ground was like a bog. I was up to my ankles in it and trying to get a wheel barrow through it was impossible. After I improvised a runway with bits of tin and some scrap wood we carried on. Giovani (yes he is Costa Rican) worked with us today, he is our driver. Also Randal, an ex Habitat worker came to help, boy was he a strong young guy, The two Fabio's worked in the trench setting out the vertical re-bar and the whole thing seemed to come together. We were all working our buts off and at last we appeared to be getting somewhere.

There is so much re-bar used because of the constant threat of earthquakes. It's in the foundations, up through the walls at each corner and at intervals along the length. It is also used to form a ringbeam under the first block and again at 4 high. I assume they run another at 8 high but we never got that far.

Lunch was as good as usual and afterwards Dave, Ken and myself dragged barrows up the hill to load with sand. That was hard enough but trying to get back down with a full load was virtually impossible and back breaking. We made two loads each and that was enough to keep us going. I'm hopping someone else will get the rest down by the time we return on Monday.

We made up another batch of concrete and just got it laid before the heavens opened. It can certainly rain here. It was a shame it all had to end as we were doing so well.

Not so much contact with the local people as there was in Sri Lanka, I miss that kind of contact, I feel that as we don't get out in the evening and only mix with ourselves, I am missing a lot of cultural contact. The team are an interesting bunch and I thoroughly enjoy our discussions and listening to their stories but I still feel like an outsider as it is very much a closed group. I think Ken feels the same way. He bought his trip in an auction at his local church, not sure if he is enjoying it too much. Although he is from the same area in the US as the rest, he frequents a different church.

Local kids having fun during our break time
After we returned to the digs and cleaned up, some of us visited the market. That's not before the storm knocked all the power out. The thunder clap was directly overhead. The vegetables and fruit made a wonderful display. It was good to have Alex along to explain what the items were and what you did with them. Pity I can't bring some of this stuff home.

Dinner was at 18:00. (it's getting earlier) pasta tonight with garlic bread. After dinner we visited the church where the woman from the team had been working with the kids all week. I was impressed with the display of singing. Then there was the certificates to hand out and a few thank you's. It was all quite interesting.

Tomorrow we are going back to the church to help with some decorating and repairs. Not back to the work site until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment